Wednesday 8 May 2013

Thanks

It's not often, these days, that people remember to say thank you, so its so much more gratifying when they do.

Lots of us enjoy the West Hampstead Farmers Market which seems to be going from strength to strength and so I was delighted to receive the following email which I forwarded to my Lib Dem colleague, Cllr Gillian Risso Gill who was at the forefront of getting this market off the ground:

"I wanted to tell you how much I look forward to being able to shop at the farmers market on Saturdays on Iverson Rd. I don,t know whose idea it was to initiate this, but I for one am grateful.

I especially like to buy greens etc and fresh bread, and sometimes the lovely pies and pasties etc.
 .
I am also proud of myself for being able to support farmers and country folk, listening to the accents, it seems a number hail from the Midlands, so presumably get up early to travel and set up their stalls.
I do appreciate this and would like for them to know we appreciate all they do.

It is very much an enjoyable part of Saturday.
All good wishes "

As a local councillor, I and my colleagues are fully aware that many people contribute to ideas and initiatives which help to improve our area - individuals, local groups and public bodies all play a part and all are deserving of thanks. West Hampstead is full of people who care about their environment and about developments which threaten it or sometimes improve it. They write letters, start petitions and set up new groups. We are always delighted to encourage and support them - recent examples include the new Neighbourhood Development Forum and the proposed "Sherriff Centre Post Office" and try to ensure that everyone gets the credit and any due thanks!

It is somewhat surprising therefore to read a leaflet from another political party where a claim to have "saved" West Hampstead Police station comes from a Councillor from the other side of Finchley Road!!

(A dubious claim at best as the building may be technically  "saved" but will be closed to the public! And also because its his own friend and colleague, the Mayor of London is responsible for the closure in the first place!)

On this occasion thanks - but no thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment