Monday 26 May 2014

Thoughts on a wet Bank Holiday


This is a picture taken on a happier, sunnier day than today but I've put it in to cheer myself up!

First, this is a huge "thank you" to all the lovely people in Fortune Green, West Hampstead and Cricklewood who gave us their support in the Elections last week and who have loyally supported the local “Spotlight” Lib Dems over so many years - you know who you are! Although I am encouraged and grateful for my re-election, I am devastated that so many of my council colleagues like Nancy Jirira and Keith Moffitt have not been as successful. They have been excellent, hardworking councillors who have done an amazing amount for West Hampstead and Fortune Green for many years (in Keith's case - for 20) and we should always be grateful for their dedication. Being a Councillor is time-consuming, poorly paid unless you are a "Cabinet member", and, sometimes, just sheer hard slog! But certainly my local Lib Dem colleagues have done it for the best of all reasons - that they love this area and have ambitions to make it even more special, and also to help local residents in their too-frequent battles with Camden Council. They were great Councillors and will all be a hard act to follow!
Secondly, to everyone who has hinted, or even asked outright, reports of my standing down are wildly exaggerated! I have the experience of my many years as your Councillor and my knowledge of how the Council works to put at your disposal and enough energy and enthusiasm to continue to do so.. I will still be a strong voice for Fortune Green and will stand up for you at the Town Hall and I will shout if necessary! We must never again lapse into the forgotten corner of the Borough just because we are so far from Kings Cross and Euston Road. This was the main reason I came into local politics in the first place and the main reason I stay. Thank you for enabling me to do so!
Finally - as ever there is lots to be done - issues of parking and local traffic, our often filthy streets and a new general feeling of unsafeness since the police cuts made by the Tory Mayor. There are individual cases to take up, the poor treatment of leaseholders, the dreadful repairs service for tenants, overcrowded housing, noise nuisance and, always planning issues.
Please get in touch by emailing me on flick.rea@camden.gov.uk, or contacting me by phone on 020 7794 8454 and leaving a message if I’m not there. I will be restarting regular advice surgeries again in a couple of weeks and will publish the details.
So, once again, a big "Thank You".
Flick Rea
Liberal Democrat Councillor for Fortune Green

No comments:

Post a Comment