Thursday 9 February 2012

Why be a Councillor?



There are lots of reasons why people become Councillors - some good, some less so. Some are in search of a stepping stone to a wider political career, some almost get elected by mistake and some of us just have an urge to communicate and be part of their immediate world. Not being personally a very tidy person one of my reasons was an urge to sort things out and where possible to make things easier and more comfortable.



Therefore I was very happy when one of my earliest activities as a councillor for Fortune Green was to arrange for a bench to be installed half way up the hill from West End Green to Fortune Green! Not a huge achievement in the world's terms like peace in Northern Ireland or reforming the Health Service, but a small satisfaction!



So I was sad when 25 years later (yes -I've been a Councillor for a very long time) "my" seat began to look very shabby and one of its arms had come off!



However, thanks to a very helpful Camden officer, it is now going to be repaired!! So there is still a sense of job satisfaction! Even if one can't sort out every problem that easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment